Logistics Network Strategy
The Logistics Network is what links manufacturers, suppliers, wholesalers, retailers and consumers; and is therefore a key component within the Supply Chain. Transport, warehouse and distribution centre operations are what link manufacturers to end consumers (directly or in-directly). Dependent upon a strategic planning process, the logistics network within supply chains relies heavily upon businesses taking a holistic perspective at the heart of planning their supply chain processes.
The expert Logistics Consultants at The Supply Chain Consulting Group (SCCG) have undertaken a range of UK and European Logistics Infrastructure and Network Reviews, Strategic and Tactical Development and Optimisation projects (including Implementation Support when required) for many companies and organisations including major UK and European retailers, FMCG suppliers, e-commerce operations, Manufacturers, Wholesalers, Utilities and Construction companies and Third-Party Logistics providers.
Network Logistics Planning and Strategic Design
Network Logistics planning and design involves building transport, inventory and location strategies around your customer service goals, ensuring the total package achieves the best service at the lowest cost. Companies often devote considerable time & expense in ‘optimising’ only one element of the network, failing to notice the negative cost effects this may have elsewhere.
The crucial element in any Logistics Planning and Network Design Strategy is building all the constraints and variables into a single dynamic business model. The team at SCCG are highly experienced at developing these types of models and have the skills to not only build the data model quickly, but to then produce an optimised solution using various programming techniques, and of course, experience, expertise, and some common sense.
Logistics Network Strategy and Optimisation
We regularly undertake Logistics Network Design and optimisation projects with our clients, either as a total review or in specific modules including:
- Cost based Centre of Gravity analysis for single DC and/or multiple RDC locations
- Logistics Network Scenario Modelling
- Complete Logistics network and individual Distribution Centre (DC) capacity assessments
- Optimised distribution network design and appropriate cost modelling
- Transport route scheduling
- Facility to customer alignment
- Vehicle fleet profiling and resource requirements aligned with DC and customer requirements
- Optimised facility design/ layout, handling practices and workflows.
- Optimised target inventories (holding cost vs. ordering cost vs. service).
- Tactical stock location(s) and picking strategies.
- Strategy Implementation Support
- 3PL Evaluation and Outsourcing Tender Development and Management
All our analysis and solutions specific to your requirements are presented with clear and concise rationale and where appropriate costed and tested.