Logistics Network Strategy
The Logistics Network is what links manufacturers, suppliers, wholesalers, retailers and consumers; and is therefore a key component within the Supply Chain. Transport, warehouse and distribution centre operations are what link manufacturers to end consumers (directly or in-directly). Dependent upon a strategic planning process, the logistics network within supply chains relies heavily upon businesses taking a holistic perspective at the heart of planning their supply chain processes.
The expert Logistics Consultants at The Supply Chain Consulting Group (SCCG) have undertaken a range of UK and European Logistics Infrastructure and Network Reviews, Strategic and Tactical Development and Optimisation projects (including Implementation Support when required) for many companies and organisations including major UK and European retailers, FMCG suppliers, e-commerce operations, Manufacturers, Wholesalers, Utilities and Construction companies and Third-Party Logistics providers.
Network Logistics Planning and Strategic Design
Network Logistics planning and design involves building transport, inventory and location strategies around your customer service goals, ensuring the total package achieves the best service at the lowest cost. Companies often devote considerable time & expense in ‘optimising’ only one element of the network, failing to notice the negative cost effects this may have elsewhere.
The crucial element in any Logistics Planning and Network Design Strategy is building all the constraints and variables into a single dynamic business model. The team at SCCG are highly experienced at developing these types of models and have the skills to not only build the data model quickly, but to then produce an optimised solution using various programming techniques, and of course, experience, expertise, and some common sense.
Logistics Network Strategy and Optimisation
- Cost based Centre of Gravity analysis for single DC and/or multiple RDC locations
- Logistics Network Scenario Modelling
- Complete Logistics network and individual Distribution Centre (DC) capacity assessments
- Optimised distribution network design and appropriate cost modelling
- Transport route scheduling
- Facility to customer alignment
- Vehicle fleet profiling and resource requirements aligned with DC and customer requirements
- Optimised facility design/ layout, handling practices and workflows.
- Optimised target inventories (holding cost vs. ordering cost vs. service).
- Tactical stock location(s) and picking strategies.
- Strategy Implementation Support
- 3PL Evaluation and Outsourcing Tender Development and Management
VP UK Operations – Bodybuilding.comThe Supply Chain Consulting Group were engaged by Bodybuilding.com to optimise the facility design and layouts, provide the equipment specification and the procurement of it; ensure construction Health and Safety Compliance and site implementation, supplier and build co-ordination and commissioning support.
Chief Compliance Officer – DX GroupThe operational review for the depot locations focused on improvements around vehicle management at the depot. SCCG provided in excess of 30 recommendations to support the DX continual improvement strategy.
Head of UK Logistics – Balfour Beatty Utility SolutionsThe Supply Chain Consulting Group (SCCG) supported the Balfour management team with supply chain and logistics process and service optimisation.